Diabetes can be a problem at any age
No matter how old you are if you have diabetes it requires special care, especially your feet.
Here are a few Important Things to know about Diabetic Foot care
- Work with your primary care doctor to keep your diabetes under control.
- Examine your feet frequently. You can use a mirror to assist you. You should look for blisters, cuts, and other issues with the skin.
- You doctor can give you ways to stay active and fit.
- See if your Medicare coverage covers special shoes
- Clean your feet everyday especially between your toes.
- You can apply lotion to the bottom and top of your feet, just not between the toes this helps the skin stay soft.
- Don’t go barefoot, keep your shoes and socks on.
- Keep your feet protected from hot and cold. Wear your shoes.
- Monitor your circulation to your feet. Put your feet up and make sure they are not numb.
- Let a Podiatrist trim your nails.